Covid–19 outbreak in Peru
Lima, March 16th 2020.- On March 6th, the first case of Covid – 19 it was detected. Up today, as per the official records, there are 86 cases declared and there is a high risk of many more to come.
The night of March 15th, the Peruvian Government has declared state of emergency in all the country for the next 15 days counted as from Monday, March 16.
The measure aims to prevent the disease from further spreading in the country.
Measures essentially include obligatory social isolation and temporary international border closure (as from March 17). Just certain aconomical basic and essential activities will keep operational.
The Peruvian National Police and Armed Forces will adopt measures to guarantee the accomplishment of the aforementioned dispositions and public services provision.
Certain legal and fiscal measures already declared
- Increase of the Health Ministry budget
- Deferral of the tax obligations due dates
- Flexibility on the telecommuting rules
- Subsidy to vulnerable population
- Subsidy to economical activities affected
- Deferral of juidicial deadlines
- Increase of fiscal expense and; at the same time, decrease of immediate fiscal income
- Fiscal deficit that may need to be covered by debt, State Treasury bonds
- Recession, risk of breakdown in payment chain
- Fiscal countercyclical measures: subsidies or tax reductions
- Private financing of public services (payment of taxes in advance)
For further information, please contact:
Cesar Luna Victoria
About Rubio Leguía Normand
Rubio Leguía Normand (RLN) is a leading Peruvian law firm, with an undisputed reputation, which has always maintained the highest ethical standards in the country for the past 40 years.
Since 1980, RLN has always worked by offering a proactive, experienced, innovative and pragmatic service, led by the best legal minds in the country. With offices in three key cities in the country -Lima, Trujillo and Cajamarca-, its team of more than 80 lawyers provides the best solutions.
In addition, RLN’s lawyers have been recognized by the most important international legal publications, such as Chambers & Partners, The Legal 500, IFLR 1000, among others.